Friends of Launde Abbey Annual Retreat
Friends Retreat 2020
25th January (lunch) to 26th January (afternoon tea)
A retreat for Friends led by Bishop Gulnar Eleanor ‘Guli’ Francis-Dehqani. Guli has served the Diocese of Peterborough as curate Training Officer and Advisor for Women’s Ministry, canon of Peterborough Cathedral, member of the General Synod and a religious programmes producer for the BBC. Since 2017 she has been the first suffragan Bishop of Loughborough, in the Diocese of Leicester, and is now Chairperson of the Trustees of Launde Abbey.
The cost of the retreat will be £90 (a special rate for Friends) and enquiries and
bookings are now open. Please contact Mike Playdon at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mike Playdon, the retreat organiser, writes:
For a number of years now the Friends have been holding a retreat, which has included those who are “old hands” at retreats as well as those attending for the first time. Usually the retreat has lasted 24 to 28 hours, often being held in January or February – so far we have not been snowed in! There has been a variety of retreat leaders over the years, including leaders from United Reformed Church, Baptist and Salvation Army traditions as well as the Church of England. The retreats follow a fairly consistent pattern, with input by the leader, times of silence for individual or group reflection, worship with the Abbey community, opportunities for individual or group activity, suited to the theme, conversation at meal times, and walking. The pace is gentle and most people have found the approach accessible.
Feedback on past retreats:
- Interesting, relevant to our everyday lives, good use of stories, drawings and other material to provoke thought and discussion.
- Ideal pace length of session and engagement with us on an individual level.
- I valued the friendliness of the group, being with the Launde community for worship, and enjoyed being in the lovely Launde ambience.
- Gentle, calm, comfortable, inspirational.
- Stimulated personal reflection and engagement.
The Friends of Launde: Registered Charity Number 519042